Sunday 20 June 2010

Benniworth Haven

In the shadow of Belmont Tower, no longer the tallest structure of it's kind in the world at only 1153 feet, and not too many miles from my house, sits a pair of lakes in woodland and which are the subject of Maurice Ingam's book Woldale.
Part of the Hainton Estate, the lakes were the home of the Wold Angling Association, and it was carp fished in the mid 1950's and 1960's by Maurice, Richard Walker, Fred, Ken and Joe Taylor, Bernard Venables and 'BB' to name but a few.
Photo's of one of the lakes today may be of interest.
Access is not possible, although the public footpath passes close by, and I didn't need to climb a fence to have a closer look.

Looking westLooking east
There are Private Fishing signs, but to this day I haven't seen an angler there, in fact although I have tried,not to hard I have to say, I don't know if it's fished at all.
In fact I've never seen any indication of fish, or come to that bird life!!
A very quiet still place apart from today, there was a noisy motor cross type event in an adjacent field.

Sign                                                                                                                         Life!

I have the book but if anybody has any idea of the current status of fishing the ponds, please let me know.


Published by The Medlar Press

9 comments:

  1. Have you found out any information as to these lakes yet... someone must know somthing ?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was working as siesmic surveyor about 10 years ago and my boss gave me the task of walking through some fields and following a stream to pick up some cables we had layed and he was going to pick me up the other side.I got totally lost and ended up going through some trees to be faced with lovely place.
    Never in my life had i seen such a beutiful place,i never knew until recently when i started working with Ray bayes that this was the famous woldale and i have been trying ever since to find out how to get on there as i couldnt even the place again.When i was there a guy was bivvied up fishing but i didnt want to disturb him so i just walked off towards the farm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not got any further in finding out more about the rights to the lake,so if anybody has any info please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was once a syndicate member of Woldale lakes. It is still a syndicate, last I heard run by David Moss Allison who currently resides in Keelby. He has run the lakes carefully and responsibly for perhaps 20 years with the permission of Hainton estates. Joining is by invitation only. There are compulsory work parties every year focused at keeping the lakes well kept without compromising their beauty. Gaining membership is very difficult as it is by recommendation and vetting. The fish do not run big, but its a peaceful place to fish. Members are tasked with the responsibility of discouraging walkers/trespassers as there is no general public right of way, except I think at the far eastern edge of the lower pond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark, it has been difficult to find anything out,so hopefully I can get a bit closer with your information.
    Quite right to mention the Public right of way, it runs up the left hand side of the fenced off lakes, from the main road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Fred Just reading your post about Benniworth Haven.
    I used to go and stay with my Aunt and Uncle who lived in Donninton on Bain, some 50 odd years ago. My cousin and I used to walk across the fields to this beautiful house and lake, this was a regular trip out. I remember looking at this large house and swimming in the lake, sometimes we would "borrow" a rowing boat. We would walk around the lake but we never saw anyone whilst we were there.
    Years later I asked my mum if it was just a child's imagination that the house looked so big, but she told me that it was a beautiful large house.
    To this day Benniworth Haven will hold a special place in my heart, I would love to return for another look, perhaps one day I will.
    Regards Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father used to go on holiday there for 3 weeks each year as a child with his family in the 1940s. They stayed in the cottage there and spent the whole time fishing. At that time the railway was still active and family friends would visit them there.

    In the 1970s and 80s when I was young my father would take us there a few times and stay nearby. He would have us all jump over the fence and fish most mornings and evenings - I remember it vividly. Lovely place.

    ReplyDelete