Tuesday 8 June 2010

Not long to go!


Weed or wildflower?

For the last 3 days it's been raining up here on top of the hill, that slow soaking stuff.
I hope some of it's getting into the rivers for those starting on the 16th.
It's certainly getting the grass growing, I do like it that there is no need to get out the mower, most people I'm sure only mow for the neighbours anyway.
It gives the grass a chance to seed, and in turn get's the seed eaters in the garden, like the red legged partridge yesterday.
I'm damn sure he can't get to the seeds in the field, the cow parsley (anthriscus sylvestris) is as tall as I've ever seen it!!
Apparently it's a help if you suffer kidney or bladder stones. I wonder if my mum knows that, I'll have to ask, perhaps she could come up and graze?
I think it's the same stuff we tried to smoke as kids when it dried out, no bladder stones for me though....yet!!


Garden Birds

Found a pile of pin feathers in the garden and automaticly looked at the blackbirds nest which has suddenly become still, no rushing parent birds!
Four young blackbirds just starting to develope their feathers...gone. No obvious signs why, but we have a magpie around, an unusual sight in this garden, in fact this year is the first time.
Of the nests I've found around the garden this year, only the two successes so far, a blackbird and the cat got one of her two, and the great tit, they fledged at the weekend while we were away,never did see how many.
So we've had two failed blackbird, two failed dunnock, an abandoned song thrush, and a wren that was probably the show off nest built by the male that failed to attract the female, well to this nest anyway.
I know we have a robin feeding young, but I haven't looked too closely for the nest, and the greenfinch, starling, and sparrows(loads of them) are actively feeding their offspring in the garden.

Fox
I'm not convinced about this fox attacking kids thing !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfMUwCKtWMII



Adams Mill
Back on the MKAA £34 a year book apparently!

No comments:

Post a Comment