Friday 13 August 2010

Memories

Music

I've just finished reading The Guardian this morning, and a particular piece struck a chord with me.
It related a story of school boy who stood on the stage at his school's annual Christmas variety performance, and he recited the words to Bike from Pink Floyds, Pipers at the Gates of Dawn.
It wasn't that so much that struck a chord, even though along with Jimi Hendrix's Are you Experienced, it was the first ever LP I bought.

It was the thought that this lad had gone to the trouble of writing down the lyrics of a song that had perhaps affected him to some extent at that time.
My guess they are a Syd Barrett's version of a love song.
I still sing it from time to time!!!



So, I was wondering if we all did that sort of thing at sometime in our,growing up time?
I certainly did, I don't mean standing on a stage and reciting words.

My first ever experience of that sort of thing was probably when I was 7 or 8ish in the school choir, we were all singing a song about a robin and the north wind, and I was well into it, as you do in your enthusiasm of childhood.



Found it!!

 BUT, I was picked out and asked to sing it in front of everybody.
Well once on stage, I froze and could feel myself going reder and reder before my personal agony was stopped!!
Ah, the memories of childhood that stick.


Anyway, I did once write down the lyrics to a song it was Substitute by The Who, it must have been around my 17th birthday, why I did it, I don't know, but I can remember dropping the needle back on the record to make sure I got it all down correctly.



 I still sing that song from time to time too, although I'm sure others will say, the sweet tones of that innocent schoolboy are long gone!

If there's anybody out there reading this, did you do that?
 
 Whilst I am on the subject

I never bought a Beatles record, it must have been part of my early incarnation as a rebel (without a cause)
My first ever 45 was Stay by The Hollies in 1964.
I can well remember all the hype and all my mates raving about the Beatles, and all the girls falling in love with John, Paul, or George....never Ringo! I was determined they were not for me.
Anyway, my rebellion was The Dave Clarke 5! I bought all their singles and a couple of ep's, only falling out of favour when the film Catch us if you can appeared.
I also got into The Rolling Stones, that interest spanned for a few years,from Little Red Rooster up to Beggars Banquet.
I played this song continuously while waiting for the time to go by on the morning of my wedding.
37 years later I still don't know why!  ;o)



In my humble opinion, the best Stones album ever.

My music moved on in the 70's perhaps i'll get around to telling those stories too.

No comments:

Post a Comment