Friday 5 November 2010

Public service

Only me!!!

It was our fortnightly visit to the local last night for quiz night, and who should we meet standing on ceremony at the bar, and I'm sure there's is one in every village, club or Society.
You know the one, he stands at the bar telling everybody, who he thinks may be listening, that "the committee should be doing this and that," and "if he had his way they would be doing it this way."  In this case the Parish Council were the target.
Now, I've served on one or two committees, and I do know there is at least one of this type of individual attached to all organisations, either by residence or membership.
They are the type of individual who no matter how much you butter them up with "that's a good idea" or "we could do with somebody like you on the committee" will without any hesitation say "oh I haven't the time" or " they wouldn't let me have my say".
In other words they are all talk and no action, unless of course they can dip in and out if it serves their purpose. He may need funds for his pigeon loft, or has something to sell.
How many of you in your town club or village has one of those?
I currently know at least one, oh yes and the bloke at the bar!!!
It is this type of individual that stops many a fine person taking part in an organisation in any form, or come to that, saying "stuff it, I don't have to put up with this".
The work involved can either be very little, but very important, or take hours and hours of time at certain periods.
We all have time, if we are really that interested.
The last thing any volunteer for such work wants, is the smart Alec whingeing on and on about "you don't want to do it like that you should do it like this".
However, you do have to have those die hards on board in your organisations who will rise above the Mr Don't of this world because otherwise....bugger all gets done.
No cricket pitch will get mowed, the darts league folds, and those village bonfire nights never get arranged.
Fortunately, some organisations have the thick skinned, or bloody minded individuals on the committee, who won't let the pettiness affect them, and the organisation struggles on.
In fact I know it gives a committee a good laugh at the infantile inadequacies of such an individual as....this bloke





Remember remember

Guy Fawkes (13 April 1570 – 31 January 1606)



Be careful with your fireworks tonight, especially if your village hasn't the volunteers to organise a communal event.



Love Story

I will seek and find you.
I shall take you to bed and have my way with you.
I will make you ache, shake & sweat until you moan & groan.
I will make you beg for mercy, beg for me to stop.
I will exhaust you to the point that you will be relieved when I'm finished with you.
And, when I am finished, you will be weak for days.
All my love,


The Flu

Now get your mind out of the gutter and, go get your flu shot!













No comments:

Post a Comment