Tuesday 9 November 2010

Stir crazy

Fishing

I've not been out since fishing the River Lot, and I have to say i'm getting chairbound.
This magazine editing lark just goes on and on, but I now have everything done it's just a case of setting it out to see if I'm oversubscribed with articles, or need to beg for some more.
One thing for certain things are getting tough out there, many angling related company marketing men have had there advertising budgets cut, or withdrawn, and some are going through all sorts of organisational changes.
Still, editing is only twice a year for me,and I am still enjoying it, so no problem. I'll carry on 'til some young buck wants a go!
The weekly and monthly magazine guys have this going on continuously. Good luck to them I say.




Goodbye to  friends to many of us in our formative years of angling on the tick.

Anyway, my mind started drifting today, walking the Idle and Bain and Upper Witham hunting out those roach and chub, and who knows a barbel.
I see the tidal Trent is up a bit, water must be warm still, so perhaps a couple of sessions before the temperatures drop off.
Any chance of a final warm spell, I wonder?
I've day or two to sort out on the Kennet, the Hampshire Avon and the Severn, depends on more important matters, but the indications are it may be the roach approach for me.

Talking of friends

I'm off down south again next week, firstly to get my mum sorted out with some tests, and then later in the week, a lunchtime 'til late meet, with my mates from the 60's.
The Edgar Wallace (he of Four Just Men and King Kong fame) in  Essex Street WC2 is our chosen watering hole. A place I used to frequent on my trips, timed perfectly to deliver the packets of title deeds to our solicitors in the street, in those early  humble filing clerk/office junior/tea boy, working days.







We've already sorted our Christmas one at the Jugged Hare Victoria, with even older not seen so often friends, from the same period of time. We've all grown old together, so a few absent friends will be toasted, I'm sure.

This friendship thing is all about unselfishness, trust and reliability, something that I have only rarely found since those wilder days in London in the late 60's and 70's.

It's down to me (2)
Student tuition fees
BP's Gulf spill

No comments:

Post a Comment