Saturday 26 March 2011

Celebration

This week.

This week on the 24th I celebrated my 62nd birthday, and exactly 10 years away from paid employment.

We went for a nice meal at a country house hotel the other side of Lincoln to us.
To ensure we took complete advantage of the celebration, we had an overnighter.
Our chosen venue was  http://www.branstonhall.com/ , it's set up in 80 odd acres of parkland, so location wise it was very good and the grounds are excellent. All within spitting distance  of central Lincoln.



The only problem was that you couldn't get a decent beer, they only do that smooth stuff,so I resorted to Guinness.

Our evening meal, whilst on paper looking pretty good, really didn't live up to expectations, it was alright, but we've had better in similar style hotels. Staff were good and attentive though.
I suppose having eaten in some of the best restaurants in London, and around the country, we know that to get excellent food it costs just a bit more.
It's just that when you eat out, and you know you could have done a better job yourself, it's just a bit disappointing.
Breakfast was just about alright, but as much as I like Lincolnshire sausages, they are just a bit too herby for breakfast.

Holiday

My birthday tiger
Having been in India last year at this time, tiger spotting and celebrating my birthday with the close up sight of a tiger, it was spoken about with fond memories of that trip and our South African train trip for Paulines birthday the year before.



The Train


The ol'girl's 60 this October, and we can't make up our minds what to do, or where to go. It's also our 38th wedding anniversary
I keep thinking of Canada, and maybe some fishing. Pauline likes the idea of a river trip through Europe to Moscow, but it may be that the US, up and around Boston, will win the day, we shall see.

My Car :Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi

Having had this car since almost new, I have to say that I have sung nothing but it's praises since.
MPG still good, despite just hitting 120000 on the clock. A 175 mile trip from Romford to home gave me 60. 4mpg, so that's A12,M25,M11,A14, A1 and A46. Top speed within speed limits.
Driving a good bit faster where able, on the same route will get me 46mpg.
Bought in the first instance for fitting in all my fishing gear,shifts a bit up the box too when I feel like gunning it.
Would recommend a Skoda to anybody wanting a good alround vehicle

No comments:

Post a Comment