Wednesday 16 March 2011

Tried and tested

Cooking

I don't think I've let on, that for my sins I do all the cooking in our house, out of choice as well, because I enjoy it.
As long as somebody else does the prepping and the washing up !!

I have let on that we have been disappointed with local curry houses since moving up,well apart from the Taal which closed down.

Well I've started cooking my own and if I say so myself, it's better than the Taal's, so for those of you who fancy a dabble, here's the recipe for

Lamb Pathia

Ingredients:


 800g kneck of lamb fillet

300ml water or stock

1 medium onion finely chopped

1inch piece of  ginger 

2 cloves of garlic

200g butter, gee or groundnut oil

2 teaspoons turmeric powder

4 teaspoons of curry powder (make your own)

1 teaspoon chilli powder (or more)

2 teaspoons garam masala (make your own)

1 teaspoon whole toasting seeds (black onion, coriander,fennel, cumin,cardoman)

100ml tamarind extract (or use block tamarind as directed)

1 tin tomatoes

2 tablespoons tomato puree


 Serves 4

Heat a large pan or wok on a high heat. Once it is hot add the whole seeds and toast them until they sizzle and crackle. Now add the oil and then add the chopped onions and reduce the heat to low.
You can add 1 or 2 whole star anise which help bring out the sweetness of the onions and give a subtle aniseed flavour, remove them once the onions are cooked.
Cook the onions gently and slowly until they turn a golden brown colour.
Make a paste of the ginger, garlic, curry and chilli powder, turmeric , with a little water, add to saucepan and stir in well and fry for a couple of minutes.
Now add your lamb stir in well.
Add the tamarind
Mix chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, together in a jug with the water or stock and pour into the saucepan and mix in well.
Turn up the heat until the sauce begins to simmer and leave to simmer for an hour or so. Stir occasionally.
Finally sprinkle in the garam masala and stir in well for the final 2 minutes of cooking.

Try it, and let me know what you think, it works well with chicken too, but it doesn't need an hour 20 minutes will be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment