Saturday 17 September 2011

Autumn is upon us


.
Didn't finish my last entry!

Birds


The swallows and martins now appear to have left the Lincolnshire Wolds.
I was surprised to still see so many about, only  last week.
They now have headed off on their way down to Africa.

The pheasants are now appearing in the garden after a few months missing off wandering the fields, and decorating the roads! Perhaps they are after sanctuary?
Do I hear shotguns!
Sitting on the banks of the Kennet earlier in the week, apart from the constant flight and cheeee cheeee of the kingfishers up and down the river, and the grumpy wren in the snowberry bush next to me. .



The chattering in the surrounding bushes and trees was endless,  the tits are  flocking up, mainly long tailed, but plenty of the great,coal and blue varieties have joined them.    Long-tailed tit
Oh yes, I was still accompanied by my friendly "rail", but it wasn't at all happy to have a brown rat feeding on its the spilled hempseed.

2 comments:

  1. Shotguns Fred?, how apt, been up the Swale?

    By the way, the pheasants are back because they will have recently been released by the local shoot, do you know nowt about the ways of the countryside? And, why would they seek sanctuary when the season doesn't start until October? Or didnt you know that either?

    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were behind that Rocca, anything to steal somebody elses water!

    Do you know what you petty little dwarf,I thought you would be the one to comment, so set you up.
    It's my Chinese pheasant that's back,and he's seeking sanctuary because he's cleverer than you,it seems.

    ReplyDelete