Sunday 15 January 2012

This and that


Clearout

As expected, a little difficulty with Santander, hopefully to be sorted by the end of the coming week. Good job I have direct access anyway, bills to pay.

Anyway whilst looking through and clearing out the old photo's and "rubbish" I found an old sale agreement.
On the day of the house clearance by the charity St Francis Hospice I was getting reports from the driver as he made 3 trips back to the warehouse, that his boss was quite excited by what was coming in on the van.

Particularly she was interested in the furniture. This consisted of 2 wardrobes and a dressing table and a sideboard, all in walnut. Apparently it's all the rage in the Brentwood area!!
They were in surprisingly good condition I have to say, because with 5 kids clambering over it for may years and once in particular I recall, swinging on the door of one of the wardrobes pulled it over and trapped one of my brothers underneath, they did take some knocking about.
We used to have a matching dining table, but after years of taking the top off to put our slate bottomed snooker table on the frame it became the worse for wear, particularly also from the butt end of many cues, in a just about big enough dining room, denting and cracking the veneered top.

Anyway back to the agreement which was between the Times Furnishing Company Kingsway LondonWC2 and my Mum, dated 21st November 1950 , the bedroom suite had a price of £56 and the dining room suite £46.10shillings, also a full 4 foot 6 bed at £16.17 shillings
All payable at £1.9 shillings a month for a total of £124.11 shillings, including a service charge which I assume was for delivery to our first house on Harold Hill.
8 years plus on the never never!
No sign of what my dad working as a glazier at that time, was earning though.
At the gate at 18months 
First Harold Hill house 45 Stratton Road




My first bike! at No1


Otter


Nah, I'll leave that to others, but some only repeat hearsay and no hard facts, so I'll let them get on with it.
One thing for certain, they won't get anywhere with their approach, but, I'm enjoying the bites!!

No comments:

Post a Comment