Friday 2 March 2012

Another go

Fishing


A trip on my own today to the middle Trent, a different section of Lady Pitt Farm stretch right at the bottom of the fishery.
I had just set up and felt a presence behind me, so looked up from the bottom of the bank and there on the skyline, what appeared to be a youngish fella (sun in my eyes)and his ladyfriend.
Usual conversation,
Me "only just set up so can't tell you how it's fishing"
Him "what bait you using"
Me "testing out some free bait, so I'm hoping"
Him "fish here often"
Me " no, third time on this stretch this last week or so, last two days further upstream and blanked twice.... You ?"
Him " just joined so not fished.

Thinking we had said it all I cast the first rod upstream, put the rod in the rest and had an immediate take, my first barbel of the year.
Too quick to be a test of the bait, I must have hit him on the head!
Impressed my skyliner though, he had a good guess at the weight at 6:8ish. I bet he'd thought he'd scared them off ;o)
5:13
 Fished on for a couple more hours, that's what you get for expecting a good day from a start like that, before the next fish, just a tad larger.
So sat birdwatching most of the time kingfishers are nesting already just 10 feet down from my seat, a pair back and forth all afternoon, my camera is not fast enough to get a close shot, so went for the distance.
not a lot better!

One of these as well ?? Thought it was a mallard with a bit of something else, until I put the photo on and saw the hook beak..goosander?

Fished on until dusk, no other fish but a couple of chub tugs.

1 comment: