Monday 13 August 2012

This and that and some fishing




Health

Don't think I've mentioned it, but I decided back in January that it was about time I really lost some weight, so I went on the cut down on carbohydrates diet. So no spuds, no rice, no pasta and no bread. I've strayed a bit over the 8 months, two holidays didn't help, but I've managed to get 2 stone off.
Anyway a couple of months ago I received a letter from my doctors practice offering an "MOT", having had company medicals for most of my working life, I thought that after ten years that I should take up the offer.
So last month a went for the tests which included a fasting blood test, a glucose tolerance test.
Primarily this is to check out if I had diabetes, as my younger brother suffers as did my mum. This is among the other stuff when you're getting on a bit, they have a look at!
The levels weren't looking that good, so I had to go back this month for the same fasting test, basically you don't eat or drink from 9pm, arrive at the surgery at 9am get a blood sample taken, and then drink , 410ml of Lucozade as fast as you can, then go and sit quietly for two hours.
This I did and then had another blood sample taken. This is sent off to the lab and you get an appointment with the diabetes nurse set for a fortnights time.
Basically the nurse tells me a fortnight later that  I do have type 2 diabetes, not bad enough to require treatment, but a change of lifestyle is needed.
The diet I'm on covers most of this, and if I stick too it will get my weight down and so that effectively is the easy part, just less fat.
The drinking has to be reduced and I'll have a think about that, the 3 bottles of wine at the weekend will be easy to half, the beer we shall see what is needed.
So wish me luck, not that I need it, just need to put my mind to it.


Old friends

During the last month we have been to Alcester and to Milton Keynes to see old friends who have not been seen for about five years.
Plenty of excuses for the long delay, mostly down to me really, as I went through one of my five year life phases. So friends reinstated and plans for more meet ups in the not too distant future.

I was beginning to think up excuses not to go down to London to see my old International Drinking Society mates at the end of this month, but thought better of it. So a trip to Ivan's on the 23rd is lined up for b&b and meeting with the ol'boys at a pub, yet to be decided by the host on his birthday, but certainly  in Greenwich

Olympics

Well, that's the first part done and dusted without any of the problems so well publicised by our doom monger press. We really must all give some consideration to those areas of the press who do very little to raise the confidence of the people of this country, or indeed our sportsman. The easiest way is to not buy those negative organs of doom, or better still fill the internet with some form of protest against the ill will generated by them at every opportunity.
I'll have a think about that.
In the meantime, thanks to the Olympians, the volunteers, and also to the BBC, they got it it right!
So come on people, less negativity and it would all be a much nicer place for us to live.

Counting sheep


Another 6 sheep joined the 7 already in the field next door.
They all  showed  the appearances of being tupped with a blue dye across their backs.
It would appear to me the existing flock may be getting a bit old for lambs, so I'll try and find out what the intentions are, maybe my lamb will be a hogget!






And finally

I took the opportunity to fish the 2nd lake again this evening arriving just after 4pm.
Graylag

As I turned towards the lake from my parked car, I bumped into this little group!
Their cousins the canada geese were on the lake.
I also found a new entrance with less of a rutted road and almost ran over a Water rail on the way in,I'm now able to id them with certainty!

Canada






Anyway the fishing I moved down the bank a short way, and will keep doing so to get a real feel of the water. Still the same depth here, so I tackled up with my Young's 1.3tc barbel rod and my Purist ll a small quill straight through to a size 12 barbless.
I decided that I would concentrate on bread flake to try and see what may be in here. After a few rudd, not so many of the hoards in this lake, and a couple of small roach the carp moved in.
During all this time I kept hearing behind me a bird call that I thought sounded like quail, they were in fact partridge, I had never heard them before, they strung out along the woodland boarder along the field giving and getting answers to their territory calls.
Anyway I was regularly in contact with the carp and stayed until just after 9pm and landed the biggest of the day at just under 10lb, it gave me a fair tussle on the gear. I do like the control the centre pin gives.


About 6lb
I think a change of tactics needed to try and get to the bottom of what this lake holds.

                                                                                                   
Nearly time to go

No comments:

Post a Comment