Tuesday 18 September 2012

Cracking weekend



Hastings





 


I have to say I thought I had been to Hastings at sometime in the distant past with my old buddies in the late 60's/ 70's, but it would appear not. I can certainly remember free wheeling down hill from Ore through the arch at Winchelsea and getting burnt off the dunes at Camber Sands, but Hastings, nothing rang a bell.I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on our weekend visit to the Seafood and Wine Festival in the OldTown there was some character in the buildings and some characters in the Old    Town.
We stayed in an hotel on the front for two nights after a 5 hour plus journey down across the Dartford crossing, it took us 3 hours to the A127 turn off and another hour to get across the bridge!
So slightly knackered after checking in, we found the location of the festival which was close to the waterside, we had a quick walk around to see what was available, it was packed, and then decided to have a pub crawl through the old town before settling for a shellfish dinner.
I have to say at £3.40 a pint of Bishop Finger I was slightly shocked at the first port of call to a Shepherd Neme pub, you must remember up in the sticks I pay £2.60. I didn't expect this price in the wilds of Sussex. Unperturbed we moved on to the next pub....another Shepherd Neme £3.80!!! We eventually found a pub worth staying put, which sold Timothy Taylor Landlord at £3.20 a pint, good job the Boss only drinks halves!! Not tight fisted you understand, but spoilt perhaps
After setting ourselves up we moved on to the restaurant and shared a shellfish platter of oysters,whelks,winkles, prawns and crab.
It was with some trepidation I tried the oysters, the last time I had them was at an expensive west London fish restaurant, must have been 12-15 years ago. Never have I felt so ill, well apart from a Barley wine session with the boys from the International Drinking Society in 1969, that took days to recover from.Perhaps another story
I can't remember how long it took me to get home back to Castlethorpe, but luckily my office colleague Louise had already 'phoned the Boss to say I was on my my way and not very well. I was met at the station at Wolverton and I was deathlike, apparently. So I got home dosed myself up with Alka Selza, slept it off and was perfect next day, fully recovered.
Anyway, I survived the oysters, the platter was ok, but nowhere near up to the standards of similar platters served everywhere in France. At £22 for both of us no complaints I suppose.
After a fine full English next morning we strolled around the town awaiting the Festival opening at around 11am.

The bouncer worked!
Shops on the old cricket pitch!

Once again the place was heaving, being free probably helped, but it was a cracking weekend weather wise.
Plenty of tasters, although I have to say that English wine is still not to my taste, so wasn't tempted to buy a case or two.
Fish & chips were good though for a late afternoon munch, before the pubs called again.
Next year, Whitstable Oyster Festival I think.
Yesterday found us heading west after breakfast to visit my Aunt Maggie, close approaching 92, and living outside Bognor Regis.
A few hours with her reminiscing about the family and off back home.
Four and a half hours journey time and 60mpg out of the Octavia. To think I was going to change the motor before the October MOT, she may have another year to go yet!


....and finally

I very nearly wet myself with laughter, the little fella has emailed me and threatened he'll put me in the river next time he sees me on the bank!
Having already advised him in the past that I'll let him have first swing, I can confirm the offer still stands!
You have to feel sorry for some people don't you ?  And it's only fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment