Monday 18 February 2013

I knew they must be bigger

Quick 3 hour session

Thought I would have a short afternoon session on the Upper Witham, so after a walk up and down the stretch decided on my swim and settled down to fish at around 1:30. for a maximum of 3 hours ish.
The fishery has an off time of sunset.
One rod, my Fox 1.5 Barbel special and my Shimano 4000R.
I had hempseed, some liquidised bread some defrosted casters and fresh home baked small loaf for flake.
Bait in the first instance Stilton, fished straight through on 4lb Maxima, a quarter ounce Fox lead and a size 6 ESP barbless raptor.
My third visit this winter first outing 2 chub just over 4 and 4lb12ozs. Last outing a blank.
Cracking day no wind of any note, but that changed a bit later, river pushing through and obviously dropping fast, the colour is beginning to drop out.
Got myself settled down for the first cast of the day and  'phoned The Boss to let her know my hour journey down was uneventful, an immediate big tug.
Told the Mrs, I'll phone her back fish on, she had something to tell me.
After a brief tussle during which I had to catch the landing net as I slipped down the bank, I landed a chub.
The fish looked a shade stockier than my previous two from this stretch. Sod it, the camera is back in the office. No camera on this 'phone.
Scales zeroed with the weigh sling, the fish weighed 5lb3ozs, a new pb for this river.
A 21 inch fish with a 12.5" girth, and in  perfect order apart from a blood spot on it's lower flank.
Cast out again with my hook laden with a good size piece of Stilton, and  returned the 'phone call hoping for another quick take.
It didn't happen and apart from a few quick snatches no further fish, despite trying out flake as well.
So at 4:30 despite thinking I should have packed up early after the chub, I packed up and made the journey home, just a bit chuffed!


Heard on the radio as I made the journey, that Richard Briers had died, a true master of out time at 79 not a bad innings and he will be well remembered, I'm sure.


Rest in peace Mr Briers

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fred, just found your blog, will be following from now on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie,I'll try and keep my writing interesting.

    ReplyDelete