Thursday 18 July 2013

A bit of this and that

The garden

I'm pleased to say that the butterflies are now appearing, mostly the little brown jobs that are not staying long enough to identify them and a few cabbage whites, still no ladybirds or any of the itchy bugs!

The pond weed growth has come on leaps and bounds since a winter clean out and the lily looks to be in need of some "root" trimming, a job for later in the year.




After seeing a few twitches under our plum tree, a sharper look through the binoculars through the kitchen window picked out one of our song thrush pair sunbathing. I snapped it through the window glass so as not to disturb it's enjoyment of the sun







Bream
I have to say I'm not and never have been a fan of bream and last night, added just a tad more to my disfavour.
Another late afternoon visit down to the valley, arriving at 5pm, this time equipped with an old Daiwa rod recently given to me by Reverend Hugh for assisting in the sale of his fishing gear, matched with the heritage, a porcupine quill and a size 14 microbarb hook.
It was hard work but I eventually got the bream on the feed and must of got 20 of the slimey buggers all around the pound mark in quick succession before I decided ,enough is enough.
One, I found I don't like micro barbed any more than fully barbed hooks and two, that my landing net holds slime better than bream do!
So I stuck a prawn on, put the fly rod together practiced my casting with a fly attached, and let the prawn fish itself.
Funnily enough, no roach, rudd or carp tonight, I think I'll take some hemp down next trip for feed, rather than the micro shrimp pellets I've been using.
Both methods didn't result in any fish and a stiff northerly wind was now biting at the back of my neck so I gave it up at around 9:30.
The net stinks and is crusting nicely in the sun at the moment, I think I'll need a power hose to clean it.
8:50pm

No comments:

Post a Comment