Tuesday 16 July 2013

In the valley..again.

The reservoir

It's not really, although I'm sure if George needed to he could make use of it.
It's part of  a run of 4 spring fed lakes, the first being a for trout fishing, the second my usual pond, which is the most mature, then this the "reservoir", dug out just before I came up to the Wolds and a stocked with coarse fish, and then another trout lake, there is another coarse pond further along the spring stream as can be seen from the map, but I've not got down to that yet.


The fishery
At about 6 o'clock I arrived at the most northerly of the lakes, not a soul about. There were 4 vying for space on the trout lake as I passed
So I set up two rods,a sleeper with a roach head on a size 10 hook, no weights, thought I could tempt an eel, just to see if there are any in the waters and the other my usual set up of the cane rod and Heritage for whatever else may be in there now.


















The margins were full of basking carp, but I thought I would treat them as bonus fish and try for the other stock.
It is obvious from the surface action there are many..many  rudd, so I've tucked my self into the windward corner and plumbed the depth at about 4 foot. still wary of the carp I'm straight through with 4lb Maxima and I'm laying on with corn,bread and paste.
The first fish on corn is a small roach, so off with it's head and on to the eel line.
I fished until 10pm, loads of smallish roach and some of these !

















I think I'm going to have to take the risk, because as the sun set a caught a glimpse of a big red fin reflected in the dying sunlight as a fish porpoised just beyond my rod top, it looked to be a nice roach, so I'll pop down again, either using a light float rod, or maybe my newly acquired fly rod.

Goose shit everywhere!
Not a touch from the carp!
Last light




As for the eel rod, not a movement, but I think I should have stayed well into darkness, to do a proper job of that. I'll need to check if George has a problem with me driving through the farm at 1am !!

No comments:

Post a Comment