Tuesday 13 August 2013

Eight from five!

Barbel Challenge update

Three more doubles, from the Trent in Leicestershire, bringing the doubles caught to 8 from 5 rivers..

12lb 8ozs, 11lb 1oz and 11lb 4ozs.

Next stop the Soar!

https://www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson


On a lesser note
We had a weekend away in Milton Keynes for a get together with some of my ex colleagues from Abbey National, all of whom I first met in May 1976  in George Street London W1.
I've not seen most of them for probably 10 years, reunions have always been in London around my birth date,so I'm usually away celebrating,or meeting the International Drinking Society boys!
Milton Keynes was chosen because we all moved up from Baker Street, via an Abbey National relocation package, to our new head office in 1983.Things were already changing at the Abbey and they were not to my liking. I moved on, most if not all of them stayed.
So seven couples met at the Holiday Inn,on Friday evening for a dinner.
We talked about old times and experiences, friends lost, and new partners met, the state of the hair on our heads and waist measurements.
It was good to see them all again, they haven't changed from the guys I knew, and who enhanced my drinking and good food experiences over the 8 years or so,in the late 70's early 80's.
Our next get together could well be in Leeds!


Red Lion Hotel

We took the advantage of an overnight stay at the Red Lion Salford, to pop down to see my old boss and his wife on the Saturday, they have lived, since the move up to MK, in Heath & Reach  Leighton Buzzard.
We see them fairly regularly, so updated them on the old crowd gossip, and they updated us on all their goings on.
Both avid ramblers and looking, I must say, rather jealously, very fit.  They are both over 10 years senior to us.
Our five hour stay with them went by very fast,with many subjects discussed.

The coming week
Busy this week or so, with a trip down to London on Thursday and an overnighter, with the I.D.S boys for one of our regular meetings and drink in a pub somewhere south of the river, close to the O2.
On Saturday I'm joining a fish-in at Clattercote Reservoir, driving there and back, and from Monday we shall be seeing friends from Scotland for the week.

I'll update The Challenge when I can.

1 comment:

  1. Aah, good old Heath and Reach. I lived there in my formative years. Nice village. There's a plaque on the village green with a quote by my mother on it...Small world.

    ReplyDelete