Friday 2 August 2013

Fruits of the season

No Fishing!

I've not been out fishing at all,although I had lined up a trip to the middle Trent with a fellow blogger for this afternoon into dusk.
We decided against it, as it was thundering around his town this morning and when I checked the forecast for the Newark area it showed thunderstorms heading up for about 7pm, just about the time we would have settled in for the session up to dusk..
It's 6:30, I've just checked the weather chart and if anything the radar looks worse!
Neither of us fancied setting up in rain and certainly not sitting in a thunderstorm.

Fruits of the season
So I've been out in the garden, just cut the front lawn, leaving the back until the sun is off the grass,we face North, so it's really hot out there.
Cheese out of the fridge, a couple of bottles of red getting to room temperature in the garage.


In the meantime,I've been inspecting the fruit trees,which apart from the plums that look a bit tatty, are going very well compared to last year.


Last year I made must, this year it's looking like something else


We've also got some cabbages, but they are being really torn apart by slugs and snails, and did I say that we hadn't seen butterflies, hoards and hoards of large and small whites busy laying their yellow patches of eggs on the undersides of the leaves.
Squashing them will I hope stop any further damage, but trying to keep the slugs and snails off is becoming like too much of a job.
I will not put poison down, too much chance of a knock on effect on the birds.
Even a 11:15pm stomping session after a bottle of wine each on the patio last night, although getting through a few, made us feel that the giggling may wake up the neighbours, or make the locals wonder what we were up to on their way past from the pub. So we stopped.



Not just whites

Fruit? Well it's got my name on it!

 Now off to prime myself for some late night stomping.....if the rain, which I have to say doesn't look like it will, doesn't reach us!







No comments:

Post a Comment