Wednesday 11 December 2013

Chuffed

Mum

  Kathleen Ella Boney 
10 January 1923 - 11 December 2011A Single Rose




Scancell

I'm really chuffed about what these people are doing for a cancer cure and research into the disease, something that affects us all at some time.

"So the goal is to turn cancer into a chronic disease which can be managed. Older drugs couldn't do that. They could reduce the size of the tumour but, over time, it would grow again and people would die."

Layman's language Nottingham Press


First

I just checked through my writings and it confirmed I haven't been on the Trent this season!
So, yesterday was my first trip, I popped down the Lady Pitt Farm for about 3 hours, well 5 if you include the journey time.
Not a soul in site, so I had the choice of the Scunthorpe Pisces stretch, I had decided in my mind that chub would be the order of the day so loaded up with stilton, bread for flake and liquidised and some pastes.
There appears to have been some considerable bank erosion since my last visit, so undercut banks was a concern, getting down to some was almost impossible, in fact some areas are roped off from access
I chose a swim that I wouldn't have chosen if there had been rain, or if it was likely, quite difficult to get down to and out of if fully loaded, but I was carrying light, with one rod and a few bits for light ledgering.
It still was a bit of hard work, but relatively comfortable for landing any fish hooked.
As it turned out I didn't get a touch, but was happy to be there and watch the world go by. Rabbits and a gathering of grey partridge on the island opposite. Cormorants still appear to be on Hazelford Weir as they were flying up above almost all afternoon.
I was going down again today but decided, with the local fog, that I'll leave my trip until next week, perhaps a couple of visits to Lady Pitt with some zander/pike gear down the bottom end, and the upper Witham for roach and chub.
I may even remember to take my camera, it was still on my desk when I got home.
The urge is returning.

Tomorrow, back down to London for an overnighter and The International Drinking Society Christmas meeting. I've picked a pub near Waterloo station to assist some of the older commuting members from Petersfield, Dartford and Reigate!
Back for a 60th wedding anniversary celebration on Saturday lunchtime on the Lincolnshire flatlands.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete