Monday 4 August 2014

Memories

Fishing
I had a two hour road trip on Sunday across to Podington (Santa Pod) to fish Wold Farm Fisheries and met up with twenty, mostly old friends, for a charity "match" organised by Paul Scripps in memory of John Tipple one of the old boys I used to fish and play darts with during the twenty years we lived in Castlethorpe Bucks.
This trip was, as I was constantly told by Paul, he had tried to get me on for nine years, apparently the last time I attended was that long ago.
I have to say I didn't think it was that long, but John probably died ten years ago from a brain tumour.
Time does fly by.
My peg 25, closest to the car park was already drawn!
I caught 38lb plus of carp roach chub and bream, which topped Paul's catch by 2lb!
Cockles proved to be my most effective bait, some good roach on them. They will be a major part of my ammunition in the future.
I fished over hemp and casters, but I ran out of both cockles and feed.
The carp weren't too interested in anything else, other than sweetcorn. Prawns failed totally.
The match went very well with all weighing in, top weight being 101 lbs plus, with a couple in the 90's.
There were no prizes, all funds less pond hire, went to the charity..
All fish caught on this barbless hook fishery were in excellent order, not one ripped lip.
I suppose I should add, the lake also has barbel, despite the website not stating that.
I didn't land one, otherwise I would have shown a photo of it as my first stillwater barbel, and sat back and watched the usual feedback!
So the only downside of the day fishing, was that the website is out of date, a "new" cafe introduced wasn't there anymore! No drinks available, and on a baking hot day, having forgotten my refreshments, I was thankful even for can of coke from Paul.Funny how it tastes better when needed!

The Oaks
Another beautiful mature water of approximately 2 acres with one island. 25 Pegs
Heavily stocked with Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Ghost Carp, Bream, Roach, Rudd & Tench
This is an extremely productive water where catches regulalry exceed 150lb's


 shoveler family
                                                                                       My two hour  home journey wasn't though, having got the satnav to find me a petrol station, I hit the home button...which as it turns out wasn't home, but probably the last trip back to our lodgings in Scotland!


Slaughter
Pheasants!
The daftest bird ever?
Today in just a short journey up to the farm  for our supply of free range eggs, the road was littered with the squashed dead of no doubt, this years hatch.
There certainly are still a lot about, many of them doing the "chicken run" are just developing their adult plumage. Three family's doing exactly the same thing on one, 100 yard stretch of a quiet lane
Still as they used to say about hedgehogs, if you see a lot squashed, it's good news for the hedgehog population. I haven't seen a hedgehog, squashed or otherwise up here for some years now!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete