Tuesday 2 September 2014

Not a lot

Even less

If your looking for fishing, I'm sorry to say I haven't been. I'm still not inclined to visit a river, although the chub are calling me. It's just been too busy a time and the mood's not right.
Today is the day that our old friend Jim died last year, we've just sold his house, completion this Thursday, so a bit of a drink tonight to remember him, and to be relieved that just part of the job, probably the less certain part of looking after his wishes, is nearly done.

Shares

I've not commented for a while as investing in AiM  companies is not short term, unless you have money to loose. 
My cancer research company's are still getting nearer to the cure, but drugs and treatments have to go through the hoops before approval is given to treat the likes of  you and me.

News today on one, is that they have found something very effective for a form of lung cancer.

" Studies demonstrated a mean response with at least a 50 per cent reduction in the rate of tumour growth in an accepted standard cancer model.    
Furthermore, no adverse effects were seen during the course of the experiment, which comprised six weeks of continuous treatment at three differing dose levels. The Company believes that these positive and exciting results confirm the promise shown by the earlier reported cellular assay results."

This may not mean a lot to the layman,but it certainly reads alright and positive to me!

Another of my investments is in an oil company, working on an old oilfield in Trinidad that was abandoned in the 60's. Current technology has enabled this small company to work from a different angle, so to speak. It doesn't include fracking!
My holding is currently (today)showing a paper increase in value of 235.5%, but the real news on it's latest 4 wells is due to be drip fed during the next few weeks. It looks like I may have a substantial increase in the short term, to perhaps 500% or thereabouts. 
Long term even more promising.
I will use any gains to invest in the pharmaceutical/cancer sector something very close to my heart.
Which reminds me, are you guys as pissed off as I am with all this self glorification they call the ice water challenge? 
Me ? 
I do my charity stuff without coercion, nomination or guilt tripping, and will continue in that way.
So, don't even think about it!

The garden


We are inundated with fruit, far to much for just the two of us.
The Victoria plums have all been picked, most have been passed on to neighbours. Some are in jars steeping in the cheap vodka and making something special for around Christmas. The rest are in crumbles for immediate consumption and in pies for the freezer.

Our James Grieves are almost ready to pick, the cookers Howgate Wonder aren't far off,.
We've never had such a good crop of Conference pear. From experience, we know they wont  ripen on the tree, so we'll let them stay until the frosts are threatened to get some extra growth and flavour on them, before decisions are made on their distribution, or use.

This years failures have been soft fruits, with raspberry,gooseberry and blueberry showing little or no fruit.


More holidays!
Apart from our Turkey trip in a couple of weeks, we've booked a long weekend at a pub with rooms in Rye for our 41st wedding anniversary, a few days in Boston around Thanksgiving time, and we've also booked a 17 day trip across Canada in September 2015.
I think I need to keep a diary!

Fishing
As already stated I've not been out wetting a line, but I think a trip to the Witham is due and down to the valley to see what the perch are doing. 
So, you may hear from me again this week as I think tomorrow is the day that I have spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment