Thursday 8 September 2016

I think I've got it back

My mojo for fishing that is.
I've been on Trent a few times since last reporting, most of it small stuff and a lot of blanks.
This week I've been out twice, two days on the trot! I maybe even having a trip down tomorrow (Friday)
The Trent is painfully low, but I've persevered with the maggots and hemp approach, fishing the chunk of meat on the inside line, and a mix on the main rod.
All of my smaller stuff has been caught on dendrobaena worms, with not so much of a sniff on maggots.

On Tuesday I met Flyfisherman Richard for an afternoon session on the middle, did my usual stuff and after about two hours I got some action on the meat rod and landed my second barbel of the season, again at 9lb 8ozs. 
I'm hoping it's not the same fish as my first day fish!
Other than that once again maggots failed, but I took some same chub and perch on the worm.
Richard was unable to buy a bite.

Anyway last night I grabbed my cane rod, my Purist II and some bits, and decided that a session on meat only would be worth a test,
I thought that perhaps a bit of weight on the line would suit better
having noted yesterday, and indeed firstly on this session, that I was loosing a lot of meat on the anti erosion rocks.
So after about an hour of setting up, and with the weight on the line, I was into my first fish. 
A chub of about 3lb, it had snaffled my quarter tin of garlic spam without any trouble.


So out again, I waited, as you do with big meat and, was just tidying up, and having a pee, before the off, when the reel gave me the alarm again. 
I lifted into a fish still with my todger hanging out!
Left handed put away, right handed rod hold...or was it the other way round?
Anyway, this time the fish was bigger and tougher, and was heading off downstream, it was starting to give ground when.....it came off.
Once again I had a knot failure, this time on the hook length swivel.
Disgusted with myself I packed up, it was nearly sun down, so being off the fishery is in the rules.
I was so angry with myself that it took a while to calm down even after some idiot pulled out on me on my approach to the roundabout at Newark.
The driver kept faffing about in front of me all the way up to the A1 roundabout, after a few blasts on the horn I felt a lot better and then calmed down for the remainder of the drive home.

This is/are the fish, so if I have any readers, are they the same fish?


I'm now determined to go back down again, and to make sure before hand, that my lack of practice in knot tying fluorocarbon is improved and I'm up to finding out what is in this part of the mighty Trent.

No comments:

Post a Comment